Empowerment Scholarship Account (ESA)
Offered by the Department of Education for special education students, military families, students attending a public/charter school that is receiving a D or F performance grade, adoptive families, students currently receiving a STO scholarship and siblings of students already receiving ESA.
Application Requirements for Special Education Students:
- ESA application (3 pages)
- Student must be an AZ resident
- Student must have been enrolled for the first 100 days of this school year in a public/charter school or is currently receiving a School Tuition Organization Scholarship (STO) for Displaced and Disabled students
- Student must have a current IEP, 504 or MET that states eligibility
- Must submit a copy of the student’s birth certificate
How ESA works:
- Parents become the “school district” for their child.
- Parents receive 90% of the state funding that the child’s current school/charter district would have received.
- Funding is distributed quarterly.
Funds for ESA will vary based on:
- Primary eligibility listed on submitted IEP, 504 or MET
- School District
- Grade level
Other ESA information:
- By signing and returning ESA contract, parents give up the right to FAPE (Free and Appropriate Education).
- Parents must withdraw student from public/charter school by the end of the school year.
- Parents must turn in quarterly expenditure reports to receive the next quarter’s funding.
- Students must have a current MET on file for renewal.
- ESA website is: http://www.azed.gov/esa